Monday, November 22, 2010

Would I Kill Hitler?

I have always been vehemently opposed to murder, no matter what the circumstance.  From cold-blooded murder to the death sentence, I do not believe it is the decision of anybody on Earth to make.  Human life is sacred, and not a single person has the right to decide if another person has the ‘right’ to live.  Recently, though, a friend asked me a difficult question.  If I was a German soldier and knew of Hitler’s plans to kill all of those Jews and I had an opportunity to shoot Hitler before any of it happened, would I?  It would be saving thousands of lives by ending one life, but could I kill him? I still do not have the answer to that question.  If I decided that I would not kill Hitler, would it be because of my morals or because I would be too cowardly to pull the trigger?  Would my morals be skewed if I chose to not to actively end one life, but as a result ended thousands of innocent lives?  If I had the chance, would I kill Hitler?  I do not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment